new sysinstall

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Sep 1 23:11:25 PDT 2003

G065363 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <20030901144956.GA8023 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <200309011613.h81GDt0C099442 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <3f53d0f9$0$267$415eb37d at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <200309020145.h821jIjk003543 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <Xns93E9EEE64D7F9justinshiningsilence at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 03:28:54 +0000, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:

> Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
> news:200309020145.h821jIjk003543 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
>
>>     There are some fairly obvious ways we can integrate with RCNG,
>>     e.g. simply by maintaining our own /etc/config/rc.conf file and
>>     perhaps adding some # md5's in comments to detect manual changes
>>     (I hate it when as a sysop I make a change to a file then run a
>>     configurator which rips out and reverts my changes, don't you?).
>>
>>     But what about things like /etc/resolv.conf?  /etc/group,
>>     /etc/master.passwd, etc?  I can kinda see emplacing #md5 checksums
>>     in comments for the sections modified by the configurator to
>>     detect manual changes, but the real question is how the
>>     configurator should track the myrid pieces of information
>>     installed in these files by disparate applications.
>
> If my two assumptions are correct:
>
> 1: Other applications will add data to these files, and
>
> 2: We don't want to mangle changes not made through the 'configurator'
>
> The configurator would present the choices based on what it sees within
> whatever file it happens to edit.  Why would we need to track changes to
> file values separately?
>
> Of course, I've not looked at RCNG, so I could be missing a very
> important point.  I don't have a FreeBSD 5.x or DragonFly BSD system
> handy right now - is there someplace I can go to read up on RCNG, so my
> opinion becomes more educated?

Here are three links following:

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/rc/
http://www.daemonnews.org/200108/rcdsystem.html
http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/~lukem/papers/rc.d.pdf

I am glad that DragonFly is using it. :-)

Cheers,
Mezz

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.