Documentation Mailing Lists and Newgroups

Sander Vesik sander at haldjas.folklore.ee
Mon Sep 1 10:39:25 PDT 2003

Mark Valentine <mark at xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <3f4ce859$0$269$415eb37d at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Hiten Pandya  <hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>I am almost sure we will use the FreeBSD doc framework as a base, but to
>>use XML as the primary format.
>
> Isn't that like SGML without the user friendliness?  :-) :-) :-)
>
> Is the desire to go to XML more because of the wider toolchain support (if
> that is in fact a reality yet)?

All new tooling goes for XML, and the tools are *MUCH* faster than say
the ones for SGML.

> I think I want SGML documents using an XML toolchain with a troff back end. ;-)
>
> For my own use I can see myself brewing up lots of little private document
> formats (light on syntax) with their own XML conversion scripts...  I like
> to be able to see the words among the markup.

DocBook XML is "basicly" the same as BocBook SGML, with some very
minor differences. DocBook is effectively the Lingua Franca and
unlikely to change in at least the mid-term.

It would be nice to have libxml & libxslt in the notional base (and support
/etc/xml/catalog etc)

--
	Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++