Anybody working on removing sendmail from base?

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Mon Sep 29 14:07:30 PDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:10:07 -0400
"Justin C. Sherrill" <justin at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mike Porter wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry but this seems counterproductive.   If there is going to
> > be a perl and a cc on the system, even if it is old an outdated, it
> > is a waste of bandwidth to force users to install one.  Especially
> > in the case where you are installing, say, a gcc, which is exactly
> > the same as the system version. This wastes bandwidth for the
> > installation process, as well as disk space in having two of the
> > same program installed.  In addition to that, it doesn't help to
> > resolve the issue where user A wants one version, and user B wants a
> > different version.
>
> The bandwidth waste seems minimal, given that disk space is plentiful,
> and most everyone installs ports anyway.  Would the minor amount of
> disk space used be worse than having to deal with outdated system
> parts?

Well, hang on: if this is done right, there's no waste.

Say the OS is using gcc-2.95.4.  Say I want to install gcc-2.95.4 for my
own use.  I tell the system to install gcc-2.95.4, it detects that it's
already installed somewhere in the system, so it exposes it to me, and
bang, its suddenly installed from my point of view.  I don't have to
use any extra bandwidth or disk space.

-Chris