Ports & Pkg Mgr

James Frazer jfrazer at ieee.org
Sat Sep 27 21:03:00 PDT 2003

A C callable API -- hmm -- okay so how does this relate to their current
TCL code?  I haven't actually played with dports first-hand so I'm still
ignorant of its ways.

Interesting.  Right, so do you know what the status for darwin ports on
non-darwin OS's is?  I know someone had it working on FreeBSD.

Okay here is a question for you -- Is the dports system in a mature
enough state that one should spend any significant amount of time/effort
writing portfiles for it?  (without something changing that would make
them all obsolete).  I understand that dports will never acquire full
acceptance until enough portfiles are written for it.

DragonflyBSD seemed more likely to adopt dports [over the other BSDs]
because they are a smaller group and can do pretty much whatever they
want -- hence my interest and initial inquiry here.  Not having a Mac
and being a noname in FreeBSD-land has kept me at a distance from
current efforts to do anything with dports.

-James