Anybody working on removing sendmail from base?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Sep 27 12:57:40 PDT 2003

:This same framework could be used for other stuff (bind) and more significant
:bits as well, such as gcc and perl.  The fun thing in those cases would be
:ensuring that, e.g., /usr/bin/cc is symlinked to /etc/rc.d/cc, to determine
:the correct CC to run (you don't want to compile the kernel with the wrong
:version of gcc, it might not work, which is probably why the other BSDs
:included it in the base system, while making ports available for newer
:versions.  On the other hand, sometimes it might work, and it would be nice
:to play with it and see)

    Ick.  Maybe /etc/rc.d/cc could be responsible for setting up the
    'default' compiler for the system by creating a symlink or a VFS alias,
    but we are certainly not going to symlink a high performance program to a
    shell script! :-)

:This  scenario, however does raise another interesting question, applicable to
:the portsng framework:  currently as part of buildworld, gcc, sendmail, etc
:are rebuilt from scratch (which makes sense, since the version of gcc used
:from one version to the next may change)  Does this mean that portsng will be
:rebuilt during buildworld?  Or will only certain parts, the "important bits"
:...
:such as gcc be rebuilt?  Or will we be able to specify which parts to build
:or not build?  I ask this becuase of two potential issues.  First, under the
:current (FBSD) ports system, a 'make clean' removes all files from the ports'
:..

    I think what we want is a feature similar to build-to-order, which I
    believe does exist in the current ports system.  Basically a list of
    those packages we want to include in our 'custom' build.

    I'd actually prefer to make something like this the default... so
    instead of a 'make' or 'make clean' in a high level ports directory
    messing with the entire subtree, it would instead just mess with
    designated packages.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

:Well, enough rambling for a while....
: