modules missing?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Sep 19 09:39:46 PDT 2003

:David Rhodus wrote:
:: First thing I would do is see why the firewire and sbc modules aren't
:: working.
:: An example I see everything is when I boot off an snapshot. ex.
:: dbsd.catpa.com
:: and the first two things sysinstall tells me is that it can't load those
:: modules.....
:
:	This is the same problem that was described by Jeroen (asmodai@)
:	and I have been working on a patch, which I originally did for
:	FreeBSD-CURRENT, but it was ignored for so-called architectural
:	reasons.
:
:	Anyways, the WIP patch is at: (it probably works)
:		http://hmp.serverninjas.com/dragonfly/df-linker.diff
:
:	The original patch, for FreeBSD-CURRENT:
:		http://hmp.serverninjas.com/newlinker.diff
:
:	Regards,
:
:--
:Hiten Pandya
:hmp at xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    It looks reasonable to me.  My only comment in reviewing the DF patch
    is could you double check to ensure that if sysctl_register_set()
    returns an error any sysctl's it *did* manage to register before
    returning the error are deregistered.  If you are delaying deregistering
    the sysctls until the unload occurs, make sure the deregistration
    code does not accidently deregister the conflicting sysctls owned by
    another already-loaded module.  e.g. sysctls that might be using a
    fixed OID could represent a problem.  I haven't looked at the code
    carefully enough to determine if there actually is an issue here but
    I'd like you to check (you being more familiar with the code in question).

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>