cache_lookup() work this week.

Sander Vesik sander at haldjas.folklore.ee
Thu Sep 4 13:45:31 PDT 2003

Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    Right.
>
>    Oh, don't get me wrong, I am both uneasy and thrilled about the prospect.
>    I think it is worth having for precisely that reason :-)

Can we apply a symbolic link style "recursed for too long" bailout? Otherwise
lots of things coming from other systems will break because they assume the
filesystem is asyclic graph except for symlinks (provided they do something
reasonable with symlinks pointing backwards).

	/a/b/c/d/c/d/c/d/c/d/c/d/c/d/c/d/c/d

recurses indefinately and unnecessarily.o

Also, if you have:

	/a/b/c/d
	/a/b/c/e
	/a/b/d/f -> /a/b/c
	/a/b/c/g -> /a/b

then if /a/b is removed from /a the structure should all correctly get
garbage collected (and go to lost+found) on next fsck. (b will be alive
with use count = 1, but not reachable. problem is, say /a/b/c might still
be correctly reachable from say /a/x -> /a/b/c, which "sort of" makes
b reachable as /a/x/g)

[snip]

Oh, on the semihard links -

--