Relocation (Re: Package system)

ibotty me at ibotty.net
Tue Sep 2 12:22:36 PDT 2003

> The relocation support might be worse implementing it or not, we should
> discuss this. Does anyone use it?

I do not use rpms relocation feature, just because my only linux box is a
debian. but read further.

My Desktop Environment is GNUstep (a Cocoa/OpenSTEP clone).
This environment supports application in a users seperate namespace:
$HOME/Applications is in his path.
a user can install its own applications and tools.

I think it is worth to have this feature also in mainstream OSs.

The package system should be able to handle installs by a user in his own
namespace. This makes relocation neccessary.

btw: to fully support users own set of libraries and applications, we need a
changed ld.so.
I once changed the linux ld.so to build an own ld.so.cache per user, this is
worth implementing too.

~ibotty