new sysinstall

Sander Vesik sander at haldjas.folklore.ee
Mon Sep 1 09:24:26 PDT 2003

Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    First, I want a fully useable system, including all of /usr and maybe
>    even X *ON* the CD, live, ready to go, complete with MFS mounted /tmp and
>    /var, a working termcap, and so forth.  I want a working tcsh, with
>    working history, I want man to pipe through less by default, I want vi
>    to work, disklabel to work, virtual consoles, fetch, tar, cpdup, the
>    works.  *Everything* should work.

This part exists. The *gotcha* is that sysinstall can't AFAICT install a system
from scratch when booted into a "normal" live system. If it could, you would
get away with porting thie freesbie live freebsd scripts to dragonfly and be done.

>    FreeBSD focuses on trying to pack as much as possible into its CD set.
>    I think that's a mistake.  We should focus on useability for CD #1
>    rather then compactness.

Except for possibly a minimal but consistent set, the packages probably shouldn't
be on disk 1 - so you don't end up with "X, but only three wm-s, gnome core and
kdelibs" or similar messes.

--
	Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++