interface renaming

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 31 12:06:48 PST 2003

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:

-On [20031031 20:32], Richard Coleman (richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

There was a big commit to FreeBSD-current to do interface renaming to
bring it in line with other *BSD.  Below is the commit message.  Is this
change of interest for DFBSD?  If so, I could start work on it.

I haven't paid attention to many kernel lists, so I have to ask you,
what would this mean in the end?  That all ethernet interfaces, for
example, are named like Linux does: eth0, eth1, what now might be xl0
and fxp0?
Brook's message to this list a few minutes ago explains it better than I
could.  That's not surprising, since he is doing the committing to
FreeBSD-current.