checkpoint/restart

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Oct 10 23:45:08 PDT 2003

:To be truly general I could just pass a structure (as stat should have)
:and the structure's size. Or is that just gross?

    Gross :-).  Overkill at this stage, I think.

:>     The retval from ckpt_checkpoint and the flags argument to ckpt_restore()
:>     could all use the same flag set (e.g. so in the restore code you would
:>     pass CKPT_RETURN instead of THAW_RETURN, and ckpt_checkpoint() would
:>     return a set of CKPT_ flags (and still return -1 on failure)), etc.
:>
:
:That would be easy enough to add, but can you give an example of where
:that could be useful?
:Thanks.
:			-Kip

    e.g. you could pass CKPT_MISSINGFDS which tells the kernel to checkpoint
    as much as it can and succeed even if some descriptors cannot be
    checkpointed.  Then, on return, if the kernel returns the CKPT_MISSINGFDS
    flag it would mean that some file descriptors could not be restored.

    Just an example... the flags could be used as a general capability
    request/response mechanism as well as for other things.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>