Xml in packaging system

James Frazer jfrazer at ieee.org
Fri Oct 31 11:39:09 PST 2003

I know it might be a cardinal sin to ask this [out of ignorance], but
nevertheless I am curious.

I'm interested to know what your opinion on a database-type fs is?  I am
not read up on the whole VFS idea, but a lot of the ideas you mention
sound like they could be accomplished with a database-fs using simple
masking.  However, I have a feeling that VFS is at more of a parent
level than the fs implimentation itself.  I'm not making any bold
suggestions (as your ideas sound great), I'd just like to know your
opinion :-)

--James

Matthew Dillon wrote:

    Note that the VFS environment I am contemplating does not take over
    the entire filesystem space.  That is, in the above example, the mainstream
    directories /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/bin would be selectively enabled
    and/or modified within the VFS but other directories, like your home
    directory for example (really all other directories not involved with
    mapping operations) would simply be passed through.  You would have to
    explicitly tell the VFS to map something as a union in order for the VFS
    to record your modifications within that target.
    In anycase, that is my idea... to approach it from the port maintainer's
    point of view rather then from a technical standpoint.
					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>