Microkernel architecture?

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Mon Oct 27 10:54:12 PST 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:23:55 -0700 (PDT), Galen Sampson
<galen_sampson at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello all,

   I have also been interested in the exokernel mentioned here.  It
seems like
I'd prefer a client-server over an exokernel, protecting device
drivers or other kernel components against each other (using separate
address spaces).
There's already a port of Linux 2.4 called L4Linux on top of the L4
microkernel,
which has only a few percent less performance than running Linux 2.4 on
bare
hardware and I've heard that 2.6 is nearly complete (of course L4Linux is
still
monolithic, not client-server).

I am dreaming of having the same for BSD, so that both could be run
simultaneously
on top of L4 (or another fast 2nd generation microkernel).
Currently, it's possible to run as many L4Linux instances on top of L4 as
you want,
at least in theory. An even improved jail if you want :-)

L4: l4ka.org
L4Linux: http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4/LinuxOnL4/
Another interesting approach is SawMill:
http://www.research.ibm.com/sawmill/

Regards,

  Michael