packaging system

Ryan Dooley dooleyr at missouri.edu
Thu Oct 30 07:10:17 PST 2003

[snip]

The tool I've been thinking of is kinda like apt + dpkg in one, but
some extras thrown in like the ability to lock package versions, and
it's gonna need a good system for handling duplicate entries (kinda
like /etc/alternatives on debian but much better)
[big snip]

An apt-like system is something I'd like to see, but I want to stress
that I want to see portupgrade go away. Although it serves a need, it's
a need that needs to be serviced by the packaging system. And the
packaging system should be able to do a better job than portupgrade does
now.
O.k... I'll say it (let me find my kevlar vest... :-)  Why not RPM?
There, it was said :-)

I'm not a big fan of RPM but the OpenPKG folks choose it for project
(which I happen to really like on Debian :-)

The OpenPKG mentioned that they needed some sort of package management
system because it was unclear whether or not they could have written one
to be more successful then others out there.

There is also portage from Gentoo which I tend to think is the best of
both the apt-get and ports.

Just more food for thought.  I do agree that requirements should be
discussed first but not taboo's.  Be open about it.  If it makes sense
to use one that is already out there great, if it make more sense to
write one up, equally good.

Cheers,
Ryan