packaging system (was: Re: GCC 3.3.2 kernel)

Emiel Kollof coolvibe at hackerheaven.org
Thu Oct 30 06:24:55 PST 2003

* Simon 'corecode' Schubert (corecode at xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Lately Craig Dooley told:
>
> > The tool I've been thinking of is kinda like apt + dpkg in one, but
> > some extras thrown in like the ability to lock package versions, and
> > it's gonna need a good system for handling duplicate entries (kinda
> > like /etc/alternatives on debian but much better)

[snip]

> okay, could we please first discuss requirements and taboos and then
> the tools used before some people invest lots of time in something which
> may not be accepted by the developers?
>
> no offence, just 2¢

I agree. I for one, don't like dpkg. Apt is a different beast
alltogether, since it's package-system agnostic. An apt-like system is a
nice system to maintain a number of packages of which new versions are
constantly updated in another (offline, but not necessarily) repository
of packages.

An apt-like system is something I'd like to see, but I want to stress
that I want to see portupgrade go away. Although it serves a need, it's
a need that needs to be serviced by the packaging system. And the
packaging system should be able to do a better job than portupgrade does
now.

Cheers,
Emiel