variant symlinks (was Re: Anybody working on removing sendmail from base?)

Evan Champion evanchampion at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 3 02:37:24 PDT 2003

That's OK, I'm sure people are cringing at the thought of 47 copies of the
same software on their servers too :-)

More seriously, dumping temporary files in /tmp rather than somewhere in the
user's home always offended my sensibilities.  I personally don't like users
being able to write all over the place, and making /var/tmp and /tmp
symlinks to places in the user's home keeps them more nicely self-contained.
Vive la difference! :-)

Evan

news:200310030607.h9367vkQ037644 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx