Legacy Signal Code

David P. Reese, Jr. daver at gomerbud.com
Tue Oct 21 20:42:09 PDT 2003

In my quest to remove COMPAT_43 code from src/sys/kern/ I have stumbled
upon the osigaction() and osigprocmask() syscalls.  These were obsoleted
just before 4-STABLE was branched when sigset_t was extended to support
128 individual signals.  I figure that I could to one of three things with
them:

   o Remove them and add a commet that documents their previous existance.

   o Rename them to freebsd3_sigaction() and freebsd3_sigprocmask() and
     reimplement using split syscalls.

   o Move them to the 43bsd compat tree and reimplement using split
     syscalls.

I don't want to move them to the 43bsd compat tree if they don't belong
there.  Were these interfaces introduced in 4.4BSD?  McKusick's Design
and Implementation isn't too clear if they were in 4.3BSD.  If so, the
question becomes whether we should keep FreeBSD 3.x compat bits in the
signal code.

--
   David P. Reese, Jr.                                     daver at xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                               http://www.gomerbud.com/daver/