Am I way off base here?

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Nov 25 14:12:27 PST 2003

At 1:22 PM -0800 11/25/03, Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Is there something fundamentally difficult about implementing
    things like getpwnam() through an IPC mechanism + maintainng
    a local cache that I am missing?  Because I am really getting
    angry at the FreeBSD-5 folk acting so goddamn high and mighty
    about their NSS DLL requiring a dynamic root crap.
I think the ideas have some merit.  Certainly worth trying.
I think it's silly to get angry about any of this.  Nobody
has said that "it is an awful idea".  They are just saying
that they didn't want to do it Right Now.
This is not a matter of being "high and mighty", it is a
matter of having different priorities.  The big benefit
from having a few different BSD's is that each group can
focus on it's priorities, whatever they may be, instead
of everyone trying to brow-beat everyone else to have a
single set of priorities.
If you can come up with a good clean implementation for
DragonFly, then that'll be tempting to pick up for FreeBSD.
Of course, you're faced with the same question that the
FreeBSD folks are faced with.  You already have a lot of
other interesting ideas to work on, so do you delay those
work on those ideas to work on this one?
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at xxxxxxxxxxx