Intel ICH4 Mobile

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai asmodai at wxs.nl
Tue Nov 25 06:17:23 PST 2003

-On [20031125 15:02], Craig Dooley (cd5697 at xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>I got a new laptop, and had to patch ata-dma.c and ata-pci.c I believe
>to add pci id's for the ICH4 Mobile chipset in.  It recognizes it
>and can run the harddrive at ATA100, but the CD only runs at WDMA2.  Is
>this normal for laptops?  If not i'd like to try to get that working.  I
>can send the patch tonight when the girlfriend gets back with the
>laptop.

I'll look at that and will add the relevant IDs.

I think your system has hw.ata.atapi_dma set to 0.  You can set this in
loader.conf.

>Are we going to merge acpi tools from FreeBSD also?  Is acpiconf only in
>5.x or is it also in 4.x?  I couldnt change the cpu speed using the
>sysctls, but reading battery life worked fine.

A lot of ACPI is CURRENT only at the moment.  ACPI is long term stuff.

>Also, is there a reason for keeping USER_LDT an option in the kernel?
>I didn't see why people would not want it anymore.  We only support 386
>and above, so it's not that chips dont have an LDT.  I can see it adding
>some time to context switches, but FreeBSD 5.x got rid of it, and it
>would confuse people building wine (I guess people running dragonfly
>have to have built their own kernels anyway).  Just a thought.

Mmm, sounds fine by me.  I think Matt should make a decision on this.

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/~asmodai/diary/
Some things just won't fade with time...