ATA errors.

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Nov 23 22:24:09 PST 2003

:Hello.
:
:...
:Adam, have you tried FreeBSD-STABLE, whose kernel built with exactly
:the same kernel config as DragonFly, on the same computer?
:I've reported about the same ATA errors in the middle of this month
:on kernel@, and later on bugs at . There're three DragonFly machines
:I have access:
:
:A. Dynabook: ATA66, 256Mbytes of main RAM, P-III 1.3GHz
:B. Dell: ATA100, 256Mbytes of main RAM, P-IV 1.7GHz
:C. Some SiS-MB based: ATA100/133, 512Mbytes of RAM, P-IV 2.4B
:
:All three machines are ACPI capable and enabled in the kernel, and
:none of them are SMP or HTT. All of them are running DragonFly from
:source as of about a week ago.
:And Only A and B exhibit the symptom. And on C I've never seen that
:error messages. On A, I haven't seen the error message while doing
:buildworld or buildkernel, only when doing fsck on largest partition,
:even though this one is most actively used machine. And I've never seen
:the error when running FreeBSD-STABLE on B.
:
:At the moment, B is the only machine I can easily switch between
:DragonFly and FreeBSD-STABLE; I have installed FreeBSD-stable base system
:into /dev/ad0s1a and DragonFly base system into /dev/ad0s1d. If I have
:time, I'm going to try different kernel config options to see if I can
:narrow down which options are tickling kernel.

    I don't think its the cable.  It sounds like it's the PIO/DMA mode
    being selected.

    It would be interesting to see what 'atacontrol mode N' reports
    on both DragonFly and FreeBSD for the box that you can easily
    switch OS's.  e.g. 'atacontrol mode 0' and 'atacontrol mode 1'
    0, 1, 2, 3... however many ata channels you have.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>