Bind update

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 22 19:05:16 PST 2003

David Rhodus wrote:

DragonFly will not have a dynamic / unless someone does a custom compile
for their system.
As for NSS I'm not sure that is the best thing at this point....

-DR
Most people don't really care whether / is dynamic or static.  They just
want NSS to work correctly.  Or more accurately, they want their
centralized authentication to work correctly.

It has become very common to implement centralized authentication using
LDAP (or mysql).  I've done this in several large projects for my
previous employer (large web hosting company).  It's harder than it
sounds.  If not done correctly, lots of little things do not work quite
right (accounting file, or seeing uid in "ls" listing rather than username).

The most expedient method is dynamically linking in the correct NSS
resolver.  Other methods are possible (static resolver talking to
resolver daemon).  But with these other methods, I wonder how we can get
all the third party PAM and NSS modules working.  There are lots of
them, and most assume the dynamic library method.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx