Non-gcc compilers

Sun Nov 16 14:10:58 PST 2003

Matthew Dillon schrieb:
    I'm going through the other patch sets on your site as well.  I
    threw in the ntp patch set and am about to commit the stack
I think on -current we have another possibility to do what my ntp patch
does. I think I remember a commit log which allows to add clock drivers
with a make.conf variable, but I was lazy at that time and forgot to
investigate if my patch is still needed instead of adding it to
make.conf. The code for this clock driver wasn't added, as there where
some issues with the in kernel code, I don't remember which issues, as I
haven't encountered any problems, but the discussion should be available
in -current.

    alignment patch, though I will note that you should not have a '- 4'
    in there.  It is ok for the stack pointer to be aligned at the beginning
    of the next cache line because the first push will push into the end
    of the previous cache line, which is what you want.  And the '- 4' isn't
    machine independant.
This patch is from a mail from bde, see
http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/misc-patches/kern_exec.c.patch for more
(it's the mail itself).

    Also, newer gcc's use a masking operation on %esp instead of a subtract
    and do not actually need an aligned stack pointer to be optimal.  But
    it doesn't hurt so I will commit it anyway :-)
Feel free to send me a diff of your version.

Bye,
Alexander.