**HEADS UP** FreeBSD-5 boot code has been committed

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Nov 14 11:38:26 PST 2003

    I suspect this may have been due to the mkfifo bug.  cvsup an
    update and see if the new kernel continues to have problems.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

:
:On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 02:01:35PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>     Ok, I think the prelinking problem is due to if_fxp's dependancy on
:>     miibus.ko.  The boot code is not preloading miibus.ko which causes the
:>     kernel to attempt to load it from the not-yet-mounted root filesystem.
:>
:>     I will commit fixes to prvent the panic and to figure out why the
:>     miibus.ko dependancy is not being preloaded.
:
:I've changed by loader.conf as others suggested and now it boots again.
:One more thing I've noticed after having installed the new kernel/world is
:that I can't reboot without seeing this:
:
:  Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread vnlru to stop...stopped
:  Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread bufdaemon to stop...stopped
:  Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread syncer to stop...stopped
:
:  syncing disks... 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10
:  giving up on 10 buffers
:
:If I drop into DDB(yes, I always compile DDB in the kernel) here, trace
:command shows 'col_conv.342(...', which I've never seen before.
:Then on the next boot, the system completely freezes in the middle of
:fsck'ing /home. If I power-cycle the machine and boot into single-user mode,
:and fsck on /home fails again, but this time it says some thing like
:'DIRECTORY CORRUPTED', immediately followed by some bold messages
:
:  ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
:  ad0: read interrupt arrived earlyad0: read error detected (too) late
:
:and fsck fails. But if I type fsck -p again here, it doesn't fail.
:I'm suspecting that this might be a hardware problem because other people
:doesn't complain about this, so I'm going to do some stuffs in this order:
:
:- try a full fsck after booting into single-user mode.
:- revert my root partition(which contains most of the base system)
:  and compile pre-bootcode change and see if it fails.
:- if it does, go and buy a new harddrive.
:- if it fails, try another machine.
:- if it fails, well, hold my breath and watch the list until things
:  gets stabilized :)
:
:Thanks.