snapshots are broken

Mark Valentine mark at valentine.me.uk
Sat Nov 1 11:25:39 PST 2003

> From: Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sat 1 Nov, 2003
> Subject: Re: snapshots are broken

> :In article <200311011829.hA1ITO68074757 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> :Matthew Dillon  <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> :>
> :>    PXE == netboot, yes.
> :
> :But note that it requires supporting network hardware and (usually) a video
> :console to configure on/off.
>
>     PXE only requires a PXE-capable BIOS.  PXE will load the pxe boot code
>     via TFTP and the boot code will use PXE BIOS calls to load additional
>     modules (e.g. the 'kernel') via TFTP.

Ah yes, I added the word "network" at the last moment.

Either your motherboard or an add-on card must support the PXE BIOS.  Kind of
hard to add it to a laptop that doesn't.

>     It is possible to completely automate the operation, since you ultimately
>     have control over both the first stage boot code that PXE loads and the
>     kernel that it loads after that (which could be a second-stage boot or
>     a real kernel or whatever).
>
>     But, of course, it's definitely a major advantage to have a video
>     console for experimentation :-)

For more than experimentation - I want to turn off PXE boot so that the reboot
after install doesn't try to reinstall...  (And no, I'd rather not rely on a
correctly configured network boot image to tell the client to go boot off the
disk after all.)

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."
"We're kind of stupid that way."   *munch* *munch*