new library, libcaps

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Nov 26 15:44:36 PST 2003

:I see that... I am not quite sure how to actually do anything with
:this... :)

    Nothing, yet.  Wait for me to move the primary service/client API
    into the kernel.  Then the only thing userland will need to mess
    with is the abstracted LWKT messaging API.

:Its still interesting to look at the code and see what's going on but I
:wanted to
:write code that was purely [or as purely as possible] using lkkt_ calls
:without
:Unix Domain Sockets and such in the way.

    Yes, that is precisely the goal.  libcaps uses unix domain sockets
    for the messaging pipe but those are fairly cumbersome.  I am as we
    speak creating a general set of system calls to implement a generalized
    LWKT messaging system that userland can use both in single-threaded
    environments and in multi-threaded environments.

:I wanted to make some simple examples that explain how this stuff can be
:immediately used in user space and possibly even do some kind of a
:write up/
:walkthrough of this stuff.
:
:Dave

    I think it will be possible to construct some very simple examples once
    I get the guts of the API into the kernel.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>