new library, libcaps

David Leimbach leimy2k at mac.com
Tue Nov 25 06:07:50 PST 2003

On 2003-11-24, Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ok, I've committed a new library, libcaps.  This library is intended
to encompass core userland threading features and IPC mechanisms.
It currently contains an (incomplete) lwkt_thread.c, a more complete
lwkt_msgport.c (both inherited from the kernel), an untested slab
allocator ported from the kernel (it was easier to port then
inherit), and my initial go at IPC functions which are the caps_*.c
files.  It is not intended to become a new libcr.  Instead it is
intended to abstract mechanisms that libcr will wind up using.
Great! I think it's very good that there could be a non-pthread
interface to threading and messaging. The application that I'm trying
to port (as I understand it) doesn't map too well to posix threads, so
it would make sense for us to use "lower-level" interfaces to
threading - even though it's less portable.
This is what I want to base my demos on by the way.  To help explain
some things about the threads/messages in DragonFly.
So, thanks for the pointer. I'll be watching libcaps's progress
closely (-:
Every time I read it I think I am seeing libpcap...  :)
--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf at xxxxxxx>, asf at xxxxxxxxx, antifuchs