Open Source Mythology -- http://opensource.org/halloween/halloween9.html

Kip Macy kmacy at fsmware.com
Mon Nov 24 22:17:14 PST 2003

> > crap since they pissed on badly needed senior level talent need to do SMP
> > and related work, empowering the least functional folks into single places
> > of responsibility that they never should have had in a legitimate meritocracy.
>

> How much of Linux's success was due to this enterprising, egalitarian
> spirit and how much was due to the serious heavy lifting done by
> corporate interests (IBM is one) to "help Linux along"? Remember that
> RedHat did/does a lot for Linux kernel development, even if you discount
> the new corporate sponsors.

Walnut Creek CD-ROM did much the same thing for FreeBSD. There were/are
many Linux distros of which RedHat appears to have come out on top. I am
told that it was frowned upon for others to try and roll their own
FreeBSD distribution. This lack of competition *may* have contributed to
FreeBSD being less visible. I'm not trying to start a flamewar. I'm just
pointing out that Linux is not alone in that respect, simply the most
successful.

			-Kip