K42 OS

David Leimbach leimy2k at mac.com
Thu Nov 20 07:58:46 PST 2003

On Nov 20, 2003, at 9:29 AM, Emiel Kollof wrote:

* David Leimbach (leimy2k at xxxxxxx) wrote:
As an employee of another company represented at SuperComputing 2003 I
say
"hello" :)
As a person who has been "distantly interested" in K42 for the last
year or so I ask
if its still 64bit only :).  If so I wonder if you have it working on
the G5 yet as that is my only
64bit platform.
Well, It probably won't take too long until DragonFly can operate in
64-
bit mode on AMD64, since Matt owns one of these boxes.

Interestingly (and slightly offtopic), what ever happened to the
FreeBSD
PPC port and it's developers? Maybe we can lure these developers here
so
they can port DFBSD to the PPC (and G5). ;) This might be interesting
the IBM people too, since (as far as I can remember) RS6000 machines
are
based on PPC as well. It would be very interesting if our beloved
insect
could exploit it's future distributed capabilities on big iron.
FBSD PPC can netboot on my PowerBook to a point :).  There is some
trouble
with my network card driver or something that prevents the NFS root
partition being
mounted so I could do an install.

I think it will even do multi-user and has syscons support if you have
a USB keyboard.

Other than that it works with the OpenFirmware framebuffer with the
built in keyboard.

Dave

Cheers,
Emiel