Can anyone explain this?

Galen Sampson galen_sampson at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 17:21:51 PST 2003

David Rhodus wrote:
On Nov 16, 2003, at 7:42 PM, Galen Sampson wrote:

While I have no evidence to back up the statement I'm about to make, I
feel that it is probably the acpi code.  I have a ~5 year old gateway
machine that has a bios supporting acpi.  When using freebsd 4.8 (no
acpi support) the machine would boot fine every time.  Now that 4.9
came out I compiled acpi support into the kernel.  The power button on
the front functions perfectly with acpi, and I don't have to worry
about apmd, etc.  Now that I am using acpi every time I turn the
machine on I get an error "Drive A: floppy device incorrect.  Press
ESC to continue booting".  Of course I could be totally wrong.

No this problem has nothing to do with the ACPI code. The CMOS is
only cleared out when rebooting an SMP kernel(with or w/o ACPI).
The ACPI support Dragonfly currently has is not on by default, which
means its not compiled into your kernel unless you define 'device acpica'
in your kernel configuration file. This problem became apparent back
during the initial integration of the lwkt code.
Does that mean you have a general idea of the date this started happening?

Regards,
Galen