interface renaming

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Sun Nov 16 08:13:06 PST 2003

I was about to create a new thread, but then I found this one...

"Richard Coleman" <richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> in
news:3fa2b53d$0$80976$415eb37d at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> There was a big commit to FreeBSD-current to do interface renaming to
> bring it in line with other *BSD.  Below is the commit message.  Is this
> change of interest for DFBSD?  If so, I could start work on it.
>
> Richard Coleman
> richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<snipp>

>    Log:
>    Replace the if_name and if_unit members of struct ifnet with new
members
>    if_xname, if_dname, and if_dunit. if_xname is the name of the interface
>    and if_dname/unit are the driver name and instance.
>
>    This change paves the way for interface renaming and enhanced pseudo
>    device creation and configuration symantics.
>
>    Approved By:    re (in principle)
>    Reviewed By:    njl, imp
>    Tested On:      i386, amd64, sparc64
>    Obtained From:  NetBSD (if_xname)

I read the rest of the thread and understand that you don't want to rename
your interfaces. However, you have to note that Net-, Open- and FreeBSD now
have an if_xname member in thier ifnet structure and use it. So if you stay
with if_unit and if_name you will have to do ugly conversions whenever you
sync stuff from them. So my vote goes _for_ importing that change to DF.

Note that it won't change any look and feel. i.e. No ethX if you don't want
them. But it makes porting things much easier.

Max Laier
max at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx