snapshots are broken

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Nov 3 02:09:32 PST 2003

:-On [20031101 19:52], Matthew Dillon (dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
:>	* boot from CD, or
:
:Wasting a CD instead of a floppy, whereas the floppy is rewriteable.  Of
:course there are CD-R/W's, but since you make release on DragonFly
:itself and rewriteable support is still lacking in some areas...
:That or you do a net install and just need two snapshot floppies (which
:is way faster than downloading a full ISO).

    Well, if you only need the storage capacity of a floppy then there
    are plenty of alternatives that are re-writable.  Compact flash in
    an IDE adapter, for example.

    Hmm.  Doesn't PXE have a UDP packet interface?  We might be able to
    implement a remote 'block' device (that isn't tftp) and use that as
    our 'disk' on machines with PXE.  Or a kernel-only boot could use UDP
    to access the 'disk' via the network.  Hmm.  hmmm.

:>	* netboot (PXE), or
:
:Assuming you have a second machine which has all the needed stuff to
:make this feasible.

    I have funds sufficient to get two small (sub $300) boxes,
    e.g. like the EPIA boxes, each month.  If people need second machines
    we can create a waiting list prioritized by need and I can fund an
    effort to get everyone a second development system to make messing
    around easier.  I can't provide screens, those are hell to ship,
    but maybe a screen/kb/mouse switcher for those who need it.

    I've actually been thinking about this for a while.  There is an issue
    in regards to overseas delivery (relative to the US) in that it might
    not be all that cheap, but that could be worked out.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

:How crude floppies might be they are darn useful and way easier to redo
:than burning CDs.  Unfortunately one might add.
:
:--
:Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai / kita no mono