Make Buildworld Fails

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Nov 30 17:12:18 PST 2003

    Hmm.  This is a new one to me.  I am assuming that you did
    a cvs checkout of the sources into /usr/src before attempting to
    run the buildworld.   The Mini ISO that you downloaded is from November
    2nd, it's possible that it snapshotted the kernel at a bad time.

    Probably the easiest way to bootstrap into DragonFly, especially if
    you are on a modem, is to start with a FreeBSD-4.x CD (I'm hoping you
    have one) and do a FreeBSD install.  Then get cvsup and cvsup down
    the DragonFly CVS tree.  After that you should be able to checkout the
    DragonFly src and do a buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel,
    installworld sequence.

    The mini-iso issue needs to be revisited soon.  I am a bit backlogged
    at the moment but I do believe that it is important and I will spend some
    time experimenting with the 'live mini CD' concept I brought up a month
    or two ago.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

:Hello DragonflyBSD peoples:
:
:   I recently installed the mininst.iso from
:http://chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de/pub/DragonFly/  to a blank drive. The install
:went well and the machine boots. I then noticed that no source was included.
:I initially began FTP'ing it down from the dragonflybsd ftp site, as I am
:on a dial up and this allowed me to get it chunks. I chose this path:
:ftp://ftp.dragonflybsd.org/dcvs/src as it needed to be done over several
:days and I didn't want it to change on me midstream. My idea here was to
:then cvsup to current. Since this was a blank install I figured I could
:just put the source into /usr/src so this is my supfile:
:
:*default host=cvsup.dragonflybsd.org
:*default base=/usr
:*default prefix=/usr
:*default release=cvs tag=.
:*default delete use-rel-suffix
:*default compress
:cvs-root
:cvs-src
:cvs-dfports
:
:   After a successful cvsup session I then attempted a make buildworld. It
:did not succeed, and below is a snippet as an example. I did not have
:enough screen scroll back buffer to see all of it or where it began, but it
:is mostly various similar renditions to the below snippet.
:mkmagic: magic, 20005:  offset @ invalid
:mkmagic: magic, 20005:  type @ invalid
:mkmagic: magic, 20006:  offset head     1.1; invalid
:mkmagic: magic, 20006:  type head       1.1; invalid
:mkmagic: magic, 20007:  offset access; invalid
:mkmagic: magic, 20007:  type access; invalid
:mkmagic: magic, 20008:  offset symbols invalid
:mkmagic: magic, 20008:  type symbols invalid
:mkmagic: magic, 20009:  type FREEBSD_$_FORK : 1.1; invalid
:
:***Error code 1
:        Stop in /usr/src/usr.bin/file
:
:   I am not a Unix guru, more like a curious expirementer. I am also not a
:coder so as far as for the type of help you probably would need I am at a
:loss. Also I fully realize that in a project of this scope that problems
:such as mine may rank more as a nuisance factor and be prioritized as such,
:as they should be. However, with you guys being much more experienced with
:this kind of thing I figured it couldn't hurt to run it by you. Any hints
:or suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!