ATA errors.

YONETANI Tomokazu qhwt at myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 28 16:25:54 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 01:46:17PM -0500, David Rhodus wrote:
> YONETANI Tomokazu wrote:
>
> >By the way, on my Dynabook fsck stuck during pass 2 in [pfault] state.
> >
> >When this happens there's nothing I can do but reset.

> While doing your testing have you see any softupdates corruption ? I've
> seen some
> softpdates corruption during some fsck's lately and wonder if these
> incidents could
> be related.

I often saw "DIRECTORY CORRUPTED" message from fsck after seeing the ATA
errors, not the softupdates corruption messages, but it could be anything
once the disk driver goes wrong and can't handle requests properly.
Can you run `atacontrol mode N' the next time you see it and see if
the driver fell back to BIOSPIO mode?