Bind update

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Nov 22 19:43:16 PST 2003

:Do you envision all this being handled by daemons running as pure kernel
:threads?  It would be cool if DragonFly could have a standard API for
:asynchronous DNS resolutions.
:
:And given all the discussion in FreeBSD-current in the last few days
:about the changes to make /bin and /sbin dynamic so that NSS works
:correctly, I would be interested how this could be better achieved in
:the DragonFly world?
:
:Richard Coleman
:richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    No, the demon is definitely a job for userland.  However, the kernel can
    certainly be responsible for providing naming, rendezvous services,
    and message passing services for the IPC mechanism.

    I'm developing along these lines.  I actually already worked up a
    userland library to do IPC rendezvous but it became apparent that the
    only right way is to implement the rendezvous in the kernel, so I've set
    that aside and I am now putting together a syscall API to do the
    naming, rendezvous, and message passing services for the IPC mechanism.

    This will tie directly into the LWKT message/port subsystem as well as
    eventually tie into the upcall mechanism, making multi-threading these
    things easy and providing a way to make it work in an eventual SSI
    implementation as well.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>