Bind update

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 22 18:10:17 PST 2003

Matthew Dillon wrote:

 >     Plus all of these mechanisms are eventually going to move to an IPC
    messaging API.  e.g. password lookups, group lookups, resolver lookups,
    etc.  Once these mechanisms are moved to an IPC messaging API we will
    be able to change the backend (the IPC service representing the
    resolver, for example) without having to recompile or reinstall any
    other programs.  There is no reason to complicate our lives now when
    we will eventually be going to this more modular model later.  Once
    the new model is in place it will be far easier to rip out portions
    of the system and replace them.
					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Do you envision all this being handled by daemons running as pure kernel
threads?  It would be cool if DragonFly could have a standard API for
asynchronous DNS resolutions.

And given all the discussion in FreeBSD-current in the last few days
about the changes to make /bin and /sbin dynamic so that NSS works
correctly, I would be interested how this could be better achieved in
the DragonFly world?

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx