HEADS UP: Name change committed

Richard Coleman Richard.Coleman at sciatl.com
Wed Nov 19 11:05:05 PST 2003

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    I'd personally rather not have branches.  I think we can do it by
    simply using tags.  The key will be to fix the OS interfaces such that
    they are both forwards and backwards compatible beyond the first release.
					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I know it's a pain in the butt to MFC code, but I really hope you will
reconsider this.

I track FreeBSD-stable on a few infrastructure machines, and have found
it a godsend.  The problem with using a release branch is that it is so
"static".  Eventually, the machine gets far enough behind the curve that
you have to reinstall.  And of course, tracking -current is too
"dynamic" for such machines.  The stable branch has always seemed like a
good compromise that works well in practice (as long as you read the
mailing list).  I like the slow "morphing" of the system from one
version to another.

I'm open to other possibilities.  But as a sysadmin, my main desire is
"controlled change".  And so far, the -stable branch has achieved this
better than other methods I've tried.

Richard Coleman
Richard.Coleman at xxxxxxxxxx