Non-gcc compilers

Munish Chopra chopra at opiate.soulwax.net
Thu Nov 13 14:27:16 PST 2003

Bosko Milekic <bmilekic at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 08:54:21PM +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
>> -On [20031113 20:12], R. Joseph Wright (joseph at xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>> >Is everything really in place to make it compile with a non-gcc compiler or
>> >is this a "forward looking" statement?  If it does compile with tendra, for
>> >example, is there any documentation available for getting it done?
>>
>> Speaking from a well-known point for me, namely TenDRA, no.
>>
>> One of the things I want to get done in the coming weeks is making the
>> entire build more friendly to switching compilers by a simple entry in
>> make.conf and have the build worry about the details.
>>
>> TenDRA can compile a great deal of the userland utilities, but I still
>> need to add a whole lot of c99 functionality.
>>
>> ICC should be almost a drop in replacement.  I saw a PR about adding
>> hooks for icc in the build.  I'll take a look at that again and probably
>> add it.
>>

>  Do you know how far the other TenDRA (Ten15) guys have gotten in this
>  respect?  I remember the guys working on the code mentionned problems
>  in dealing with inlined asm code, clearly non-portable.  Would it be
>  possible to build a portion of the MI kernel code with tcc and link it
>  to pre-built (with another compiler) portion of MD code?

We have strategies on the drawing board for dealing with inline asm,
which is the main culprit for now. The other stuff is being worked on,
albeit slowly due to other matters (read: life etc.) getting in the
way.

As for the second part of your question, I'd say it's possible, but
the amount of indirect trouble that may be incurred is likely to be
too big.  I haven't thought about that much though, so perhaps I'm
just too pessimistic.

Jeroen, O'Brien mentioned he would be happy to attempt an integration
of tcc into the FreeBSD build process when the time comes. Perhaps you
could have a little chat with him, he had concrete ideas on how to go
about it the best way (perhaps he's lurking here anyway?).

--
Munish Chopra