AMD64 impressions (Re: AMD64 box)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Nov 12 14:14:51 PST 2003

:If you think an Athlon64 is fast, you should get a Tyan Tiger K8S or
:Asus SK8N and an Athlon FX51.  The dual-channel memory controller of
:the Opteron/FX51 vs. Athlon64 gives a very noticable speedup.
:

    I saw that chip but decided that the money was better spent on the
    lower end chip for the UP work because I eventually plan on getting
    another box (i.e. an SMP box).

    I'm impressed either way, though.  The Athlon64 will interleave the
    banks and when I write a little program to scan, say, a 32MB chunk of
    memory over and over again I get on the order of 2.62GBytes/sec from
    main memory with PC3200 memory.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

:...
:>     (2) The AMD's syscall overhead is very low compared to the P4.
:>         I ran the 'sc1' test in /usr/src/test/sysperf.  The AMD box
:>         comes back at 242nS/loop while the P4 takes 1300nS/loop and
:>         the DELL box (LEAF/SMP) takes 617nS/loop.
:
:We worked on the overall performance of the chip in real-world situations.
:Not just paying attention only to those things that raised the MHz and
:game FPS benchmarks.
:
:--
:-- David    (obrien at xxxxxxxx)