snapshots are broken

David Cuthbert dacut at kanga.org
Sat Nov 1 20:17:22 PST 2003

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
Mmm, that's a nice thing.  I should check out more of the Compact Flash
cards, see how easy it might be to whip up some generic support for
some.  We do have some support for certain brands already IIRC.
Good news: in IDE emulation mode, they look and act just like IDE
drives.  You need an adaptor; I grabbed one for $20 (which, for a
mass-market item, would be overpriced -- this is literally a few
resistors and diodes, maybe an LED or two if you want to get fancy, and
the hardware to adapt the form factors -- but, sadly, this doesn't seem
to be a mass-market item).

I think that I did see some ATAPI messages from the Linux kernel when
using it... no functionality was amiss, though.

http://www.acscontrol.com/Index_ACS.asp?Page=/Pages/Products/CompactFlash/IDE_To_CF_Adapter.htm
is where I got mine from.  If you're feeling more hobbyist-inclined, the
(very readable) standards can be downloaded for free from
http://www.compactflash.org/ .

However, in IDE emulation mode, you cannot remove the card; it tends to
make the IDE bus a tad angry.  For that, you would want to use a normal
card reader.

Dave