snapshots are broken

Mark Valentine mark at thuvia.org
Sat Nov 1 13:23:21 PST 2003

In article <3fa41255$0$80974$415eb37d at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Richard Coleman  <richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Can NetBSD even do that?

I haven't actually tried it on Solaris yet, but it's supposed to work (my
experience using a FreeBSD host building for both i386 and sparc shows that
it works with frequent but minor breakage, which is unsurprising considering
the breadth of NetBSD's platform support compared with the number of platforms
a developer can practically test on).

It is an impressive piece of work, and relatively tidy too!  (I just despair
at the state of FreeBSD's build system these days.)

Likewise pkgsrc (their version of ports) supports several non-NetBSD platforms
(in fact I've had better experience with pkgsrc than ports on FreeBSD in my
short time of trying it! - for example they use ld -rpath instead of relying
on the evil ldconfig).

As a FreeBSD user of ten years, I've recently found myself fixing more and
more FreeBSD breakage by borrowing from the NetBSD equivalent.  There are
lessons to be learned over there, for sure.

		Cheers,

		Mark.
--
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."
"We're kind of stupid that way."   *munch* *munch*