packaging system

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Nov 1 11:11:40 PST 2003

:
:I like the idea of standardizing everything, but I think theres two separat=
:e=20
:battles to be fought.  Theres the idea of package building and binary=20
:distribution if you ask me.  Ports currently does both, and I dont think th=
:e=20
:option to build from source should be taken away from the user, but a 486=20
:router does not want to build apache, even if they want to run it.  Making=

    The wonderful things about my VFS environment idea is that it works
    equally well for source AND binary management.  Instead of special-casing
    build time, install time, and run-time requirements, all three can be
    maintained using the same set of VFS abstraction tools.