dynamic /bin /sbin

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 25 12:20:55 PDT 2003

Matthew Dillon wrote:

:I believe that freebsd-current is going to dynamic versions
:mainly so some dynamically-loaded options (such as pam) could
:be made to work correctly.
    I am generally against doing dynamic.  I feel that certain entities that
    one might desire to be dynamic, such as authentication, really should be
    *completely* moved out of the binary and into a port service.  Such
    entities might include (incomplete list):

	* authentication
	* name resolution
	* locale
Using dynamic libraries is pretty convenient for things like PAM and
nsswitch.conf.  Otherwise, you need to create some type of API that is
flexible enough for every type of authentication, authorization, or
resolution method you might want to use in the future.  In the end,
wouldn't this turn out to be as complicated as dynamic linking?

Richard Coleman