userapi: signals

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Jul 21 11:59:57 PDT 2003

:Any thought of how signals will be handled once there's nothing but
:messages? For most cases, they could be done in the user API when you
:Wait() on the system message port, but that won't stop a program that's
:in an infinite (or just very long) loop.
:
:The easy solution would be to have a background thread that was always
:live that just handled signals, either by sleeping on a port or by being
:the interrupt handling thread for that process, no?

    There are a billion ways this could be handled.  I have no specific
    thoughts on the best way to do it at the moment.  I would prefer that
    the kernel not be aware of userland threading at all, though.  I want
    userland threading to be under the complete control of userland.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>