Guidelines for tasks?

Kip Macy kmacy at fsmware.com
Fri Jul 18 14:02:29 PDT 2003

merv wrote:
Kip Macy wrote:

I was wondering if you had thought about creating a more fine-grained
set of tasks for working towards your design goals so that individuals
can contribute smaller pieces. Or does it make more sense right now to
restrict work to those who really understand what you have in mind?

        -Kip

I agree with Kip in this sense: a "task-tree", some library of existing
open tasks that indicates how they are linked with other tasks (that are
also in some state of pending/open/complete stage), would enable people
to contribute in smaller chunks by taking on tasks, completing them and
then dipping in again in some other area.  The ability to see how all
the tasks relate to one another at any time may encourage those of us
who really want to be a part of this exciting project to get involved
but who are time-limited in terms of how much they can take on at one
time or another.  Perhaps some visual/diagramatic representation (on the
dragonfly site, perhaps) of such a tree (consisting of data drawn from a
development database populated by individuals as they work on separate
tasks) would work?  Just a thought :)  Anyone think of lightweight
examples of such a thing rather than having to build one from scratch?

I'm glad that I'm not completely out in left field on this one. I'm
CC'ing Matt this time in case he missed the message by accident.