syscall messaging interface API

Diane Bruce db at db.net
Wed Jul 23 19:12:15 PDT 2003

In article <200307231926.h6NJQppi038541 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
  Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >     Here is my idea for the system messaging interface.  I will use a
> >     new trap gate (0x81) to implement it, because it occurs to me that
. ..>     and the contents of the message).  And a new trap gate isolates us from
> >     the old syscall mechanism.
> >
> >     int 0x81 to dispatch, arguments in eax, ecx, edx, return value in eax.

> How will that affect optimisation w/ the limited register set on ia32?

  You can pay me now, or you can pay me later.
  Doing a context (a full stateful context) is isomorphic to a message
passing scheme. A message is going to cost you less in needed context saving
than a full context.
  Anyway, I explained the other nasty consequences to you elsewhere already...

- Diane