Remove BIND, Sendmail, Perl and etc from base?

ibotty me at ibotty.net
Wed Jul 23 02:01:36 PDT 2003

> Which reminds me!  I am not delegating :-), but it would be way
> cool if someone wants to work on a decent GUI installation
> system.  Libh is a failure... let's think something SuSE/RedHat
> like.. :-)

what about the debian approach (we all know, it does not have an advanced
graphical installer right now, but will have one shortly)?

on debian, you have debconf scripts, that can be interpreted in a ncurses, a
gtk and a textual user interface.

so one does not loose old schoolers (as most of us are), that do not like
gtk on their servers. but would also attract new users, that need something
to click.

[1] will give you some screenshots, [2] the general idea.

btw: because *bsd has never had any debconf alike scripts, i think this is
highly doubtly, that we could agree on this, so we should postpone this
discussion to later.

refs:
[1] http://www.mmweg.rwth-aachen.de/~sebastian.ley/d-i/screenshots/
[2] http://people.debian.org/~mbc/di.html