Remove BIND, Sendmail, Perl and etc from base?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Jul 23 01:33:36 PDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:56:07 -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :One more question: Are your goal only to have binary package system or
> :both (binary and source)? I hope, you keep both ability in the package
> :system.
> :
> :Cheers,
> :Mezz
>
>     It will be primarily a binary format, but it should be possible to
>     build from sources as well.   This is far in the future so that's
>     just a guess but I think it's been well proven that binary packaging
>     and distribution is far more reliable the sources, especially if the
>     dependancies and library revs can be guarenteed.

Good, have the ability of build the source (like ports) is great. Because,
many apps have the options to enable or disable in the compile such as
Gnome apps. For example, if I want AbiWord to compile with Gnome support.
If someone don't even want to have AbiWord with the Gnome support. I don't
know how it works with Debian, I only use it for like a week long time
ago.

Cheers,
Mezz

--