Call for Developers! Userland threading

Peter da Silva peter-dragonfly at taronga.com
Tue Jul 22 12:51:45 PDT 2003

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    I was kinda thinking of Peter da Silva or Jeffrey Hsu to lead this effort,
    but I don't know what kind of time commitment people have.
Guess I can give up Usenet for a few months. :)

We should probably agree on a common name for the thread struct that
isn't likely to overlap anyone else's likely names for thread structs:
lwkt_thread, lwthread, lw_thread, something like that. maybe grab some
mindspace: dragonthread?

	      /*
	       * Use the convenient mostly pre-built message stored in the
	       * userthread structure
	       */
	      msg = &curthread->td_sysmsg;
msg = &curthread->td_sysmsg[READ] or something like that, no?

	* (later on) development of a kernel-supported signal infrastructure
	  for proper POSIX signal handling.
First pass would be synchronous signal handlers, so caught signals are
delivered as messages, otherwise they kill or ignore as now?

    I will be focusing on the kernel side of things.  I would like those
    interested in doing the userland threading project to focus on the
    userland side of things.
dragonfly.userapi?