dynamic /bin /sbin

Bosko Milekic bmilekic at technokratis.com
Fri Jul 25 12:18:22 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 03:04:58PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 11:51 AM -0700 7/25/03, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >
> >    I am generally against doing dynamic.  I feel that
> >    certain entities that one might desire to be dynamic,
> >    such as authentication, really should be *completely*
> >    moved out of the binary and into a port service.  Such
> >    entities might include (incomplete list):
> >
> >	* authentication
> >	* name resolution
> >	* locale
>
> If these issues can be solved without going dynamic, then
> there probably isn't much need for switching to dynamic.

  FWIW, the nsswitch "problem" doesn't necessarily require you to go to
  a dynamically-linked root and this was in fact one of the recent
  topics of conversation on some of the freebsd lists.

  Personally, I myself prefer the so-called "IPC" approach to doing
  nsswitch.  Namely, a daemon which is itself possibly
  dynamically-linked and which may do caching, and where the libc code
  talks to the daemon and has a local 'fallback' method.

  FWIW, some guys at RSU (the russian RSU, Rostov State University)
  claim to have some daemon code which puts us on the path towards
  exactly the above-described model.  This model does not require a
  dynamically-linked root.  I think that OS X does something along those
  lines, too.

--
Bosko Milekic  *  bmilekic at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  *  bmilekic at xxxxxxxxxxx
TECHNOkRATIS Consulting Services  *  http://www.technokratis.com/