Remove BIND, Sendmail, Perl and etc from base?

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mb.ca
Fri Jul 25 09:54:34 PDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:14:50 -0400
Richard Coleman <richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yeah, I realize this thread is probably not going anywhere.  But it's
> a standard argument that had to happen sometime ;-)

Sure, this is just practice for the real debate, many months from now :)

I mean, I can see the other side of the argument: having a scripting
language to do 'everything' with, does make maintenance simpler, etc.

And the holy war could be avoided in other ways.  For example, we could
take a cue from the 8-bits of yore and use BASIC - then we'd be assured
of alienating everyone equally.  Or we could pick something so obscure
and flexible that no one would have grounds to complain, like OpenZz.

Plus, mental masturbation isn't a _total_ waste - something said here
might spark an idea in someone's mind, and they can go off and do a
feasibility study if they think it'll coincide with Matt's vision...
probably best to keep it on a leash though.

Experiment first, pontificate later...
-Chris